Millennials are those who are born between 1980s and the late 1990s, also known as Gen-Y. In 2023, millennials are between 27 to 42 years old and are about to enter their prime earning years. According to study conducted by ESW, a direct-to-consumer e-commerce company, millennials will take over as the lead global spenders this year. Millennials’ spending power has grown to US$2.5 trillion and as a result, brands must continue to evolve, improve, and optimise their marketing efforts to attract and retain this increasingly powerful demographic.
Get to the point
Although you would often find millennials glued to their laptops, tablets or mobile phones, the chances of them actually taking in your marketing message is low. The average attention span of a millennial online is less than 12 seconds, yet using online channels are one of the best ways to reach this digitally savy generation. Make your content scannable, so your message is delivered at a glance and doesn’t take too much time to read through. Here are 4 things you can do to make your content scannable:
- Shorten your sentences and paragraphs
- Use bullet point, numbered lists, and other formatting to make your content visually easier to digest
- Use headers for easier scanning
- Use more visuals and less text to deliver your message
Show real-life examples
Millennials are a hard group to crack when it comes to loyalty. However, marketers have found that user-generated content (UGC) is one way to get around this hiccup, as they tend to trust their peers more. A thumbs-up vote from others will go a long way in helping you instill trust and build loyalty. Here are some ways to use UGC on your site:
- Encourage reviews and ratings for your products or services from existing customers.
- Include customer testimonials in your marketing materials and showcase them on your social media channels.
- Add photos and videos from customers that showcase how your products look, feel, or can be used on your e-commerce store.
Maintain a blog
Millennials are used to having access to extensive information at their fingertips. This makes them more likely to do in-depth research before buying and as a result make fewer impulse buys. Instead, they’ll put in the time to make sure they choose the right product. However, millennials will not bother reading long-winded blogs that are full of filler words. They frequently look for the fastest, most effective ways to accomplish their goals–and that includes the blogs they read. Here are a few ways to deliver your messaging to millennials through blogs:
- Focus on things that will appear in Google’s Featured Snippets
- Offer a search tool on your website, so readers can quickly search for what they’re looking for.
- Use blog titles that are straightforward and SEO-friendly
- Use images in your blogs to break up text
Millennials are an important market and it is essential brands adapt their marketing strategies to connect with this demographic. Our team at Presence marketing is well-versed in targeting different demographics to help brands promote their products or services. Contact us today to find out how we can help you grow your brand.